If you are looking for wonderful quotes about love, friendship and family, as well as some more off the wall ones like Cruella de vil quotes, from the characters of the One hundred and One Dalmatians, we have you covered.
Based on a novel of the same name by Dodie Smith, the Walt Disney company secured the rights and released their 17th animated film, One Hundred One Dalmatians, on January 25th, 1961. Fast forward to 1996 and and Disney released a live-action film, 101 Dalmatians, as a remake of the 1961 animated film.
The story revolves around lots of dogs, 101 to be exact, 1 cat, Sergeant Tibbs, a couple of cute couples (one human and one canine) Roger and Anita and Pongo and Perdy, a very very bad lady named Cruella de Vil and a bunch of other fun and cute and mischievous characters rounding out the story.
Though Disney movies have some evil in order for good to win in the end, 101 Dalmatians, in our opinion is one of the most evil stories. You have a “devil woman” wanting a litter of Dalmatian puppies in order to make fur coats from them…eww!
It is important to note that even though the gist of the story is the same when looking at the book entitled “The Hundred and One Dalmatians”, the animated version entitled, “One Hundred and One Dalmatians” and the live-action version entitled, “101 Dalmatians”, there are a few small differences between the three.
*If you’ve ever wondered what your old 101 Dalmatians tape is worth, check out this post!
The Walt Disney Productions has created the most memorable characters in their animated films over the years and within those films are a treasure of saying and quotes.
101 Dalmatians is no different. Here are quotes divided up in 3 parts for the book, the animated movie and the live action movie.
The One Hundred and One Dalmatians Quotes
Quotes from Dodie Smith’s book
1. “Mr. Dearly wasn’t exactly handsome but he had the kind of face you don’t get tired of.”
2. “Any cat can make a house seem haunted.”
3. “One afternoon, a woman came to the house. Her name was Cruella de Vil. ‘What delightful dogs!’ declared Cruella. ‘I will buy them all.‘”
4. “Dogs can never speak the language of humans, and humans can never speak the language of dogs. But many dogs can understand almost every word humans say, while humans seldom learn to recognize more than half a dozen barks, if that. And barks are only a small part of the dog language. A wagging tail can mean so many things. Humans know that it means a dog is pleased, but not what a dog is saying about his pleasedness. (Really, it is very clever of humans to understand a wagging tail at all, as they have no tails of their own.) Then there are the snufflings and sniffings, the pricking of ears—all meaning different things. And many, many words are expressed by a dog’s eyes.”
5. “NOT long ago, there lived in London a young married couple of Dalmatian dogs named Pongo and Missis Pongo. (Missis had added Pongo’s name to her own on their marriage, but was still called Missis by most people.) They were lucky enough to own a young married couple of humans named Mr. and Mrs. Dearly, who were gentle, obedient, and unusually intelligent—almost canine at times. They understood quite a number of barks: the barks for “Out, please!” “In, please!” “Hurry up with my dinner!” and “What about a walk?” And even when they could not understand, they could often guess—if looked at soulfully or scratched by an eager paw. Like many other much-loved humans, they believed that they owned their dogs, instead of realizing that their dogs owned them. Pongo and Missis found this touching and amusing and let their pets think it was true.”
6. “We lose more women to marriage than war, famine, and disease.”
7. “But during the many happy hours that Cadpig was to sit watching it in the warm kitchen she never liked it quite so much as that other television, that still silent television she had seen on Christmas Eve when the puppies had rested so peacefully in that strange lofty building. She often remembered that building and wondered who owned it. Someone very kind she was sure for in front of every one of the many seats there had been a little carpet-eared puppy-sized dog-bed.”
8. “There is a connection between Dalmatians and gypsies. Many people believe that it was the gypsies who first brought Dalmatians to England, long, long ago. And nothing like as long ago as that, there were gypsies who travelled round England with Dalmatians trained to do tricks. And these performing dogs earned money for the gypsies.”
9. “She’s mean enough to scare the spots off a pup!”
10. “Now, carols are always beautiful, but if you are sad they can make you feel sadder.”
One Hundred One Dalmatians Quotes from the 1961 Animated Film
1. Cruella: “When can the puppies leave their mother? Two weeks? Three weeks?”
Roger: “Never.” Cruella: “What?” Roger: “We’re not selling the puppies. Not a single one. Do you understand?”
2. Rolly: “I’m hungry, Mother. I’m hungry.”
Perdita: “Now Rolly, you’ve just had your dinner.” Rolly: “But I am, just the same. I’m so hungry I could eat a whole elephant.”
3. Roger: “Look, Anita! Puppies everywhere!” Anita: “There must be a hundred of them!” Nanny: “One, two, three, and four. Seven, eight, nine.” Roger: “Two more. Nine plus two is 11.” Nanny: “Thirty-six over here!” Roger: “Thirty-six and 11? That’s 47.” Anita: “Fourteen. Eighteen, Rog.” Roger: “Uh, eh, 65!”Nanny: “Ten, 11, 12, 13!” Anita: “Wait a minute, wait a minute. Six more.” Roger: “Well, let’s see now. That’s 84 and 15 plus two. A 101!” Anita: “A 101? My, where did they all come from?” Roger: “Oh ho, Pongo, you old rascal!”
4. Cadpig: “Old Thunderbolt’s the greatest dog in the whole world.”
Patch: “He’s even better than Dad.” Penny: “No dog’s better than Dad.”
5. Lucky: “I’m tired, and I’m hungry. And my tail’s froze. And my nose is froze. And my ears are froze. And my toes are froze.”
6. Cruella De Vil: “Anita, darling!” Anita: “How are you?” Cruella De Vil: “Miserable, darling, as usual, perfectly wretched.”
7. Roger (singing): “Cruella De Vil, Cruella De Vil, if she doesn’t scare you, no evil thing will.”
8. Patch: “That old dirty Dawson! The yellow livered old skunk! I’d like to tear his gizzard out.” Perdita: “Why, Patch, where did you ever hear such talk? Certainly not from your mother!”
9. Pongo: “Come on, kids! Roll in the soot!” Penny: “You mean you want us to get dirty?” Pepper: “Did you hear that, Freckles? Dad wants us to get dirty.” Cadpig: “Mother, should we?” Perdita: “Do as your father says.” Pepper: “This’ll be fun!” Cadpig: “I always wanted to get good and dirty!”
10. Anita: “Cruella, isn’t that a new fur coat?” Cruella De Vil: “My only true love, darling. I live for furs. I worship furs! After all, is there a woman in all this wretched world who doesn’t?”
101 Dalmatians Quotes from the 1996 Live-Action Movie
1. Roger: “Fools aren’t born, Pongo; pretty girls make them in their spare time.”
2. Jasper: “Now, there are two things you must not do with Skinner. One, do not look at the horrendous scar on his neck. Two, don’t talk to him. Understand? Not a word.”
3. Roger: “Do you want another cup of marriage, uh, tea?”
4. Cruella: “I live for fur, I worship fur. After all, is there a woman in all this wretched world who doesn’t?”
5. Cruella: “We lose more women to marriage than war, famine, and disease.”
6. Cruella: “My faith in your limited intelligence is momentarily restored.”
7. Cruella: “Darling, red isn’t your color. Give me the hat. Give me the hat, or you will become a hat.”
8. Jasper: “Oh, will you stop moaning? Look, this time tomorrow night it’s all over. We get our boodle; we’ll be out of here before you can say dead puppies. Now go to sleep.”
9. Nanny: “And speaking of children…” Anita: “Roger, darling, I’ve got the most wonderful news.”
10. Anita: “Oh, I’d like a nice fur, but there are other nice things…” Cruella De Vil: “Sweet, simple Anita! I know, I know! This horrid little house is your dream castle! And poor Roger is your bold and fearless Sir Galahad!” Anita: “Oh, Cruella…” Cruella De Vil: “And then of course, you have your little spotted friends… Yes I must say, such perfectly beautiful coats…”