Are you planning your Walt Disney World vacation and trying to decide when to go? Let’s take a look at our exclusive Walt Disney World Crowd Calendar for 2024 to find the perfect time!
One of the biggest questions people have when planning their trip to Walt Disney World is one of the most basic ones: when should you go?
2024 is going to be an amazing time to visit Disney World. Here are some perks:
- Disney Dining Plan returns
- Park hopping limitations end
- Park reservations are no longer required
Figuring out the exact dates of when to go to Disney World is the first step of to planning your Walt Disney World Vacation. You cannot make any other decisions until this step is complete. In my opinion, the number of people at Disney can make or break your vacation. I rely on our crowd calendar to help pick the best time to go.
If I were to pick 3 of my favorite weeks to go from our Disney World Crowd Calendar, it would be:
- The last week of August
- The first week of October
- The first week of December. In early December the Christmas decorations are up but the Christmas crowds haven’t started yet.
I also like the entire month of September because school is in session throughout the country which makes crowds lower, and the competitions that are so wide spread from January through April haven’t started yet. This is a perfect time to go on an adults only trip!
What is a Disney World Crowd Calendar?
A Disney World crowd calendar is our best guess at when to go to Disney based upon how many people are visiting the Disney parks on any given day. For us, low crowds means a good time to visit. Low crowds mean lower wait times for attractions!
When planning your Disney World vacation, it is important to have reliable information at your fingertips in order to maximize your experience and minimize your frustrations. That’s why this calendar is so invaluable!
We have taken crowd information from past years, combined with major events that will be occurring in the parks in 2024 and sprinkled in average temperatures and rain amounts to help you plan a wonderful trip.
Month By Month – When to Avoid Disney And When To Go
Obviously we don’t know the future and can’t fully predict how busy Disney World will get. However, we can make pretty good predictions based on patterns, weather, activities and personal experience.
Our crowd calendar will help guide you in knowing when the best time will be to visit Disney.
2024 Disney World Crowd Calendar
January 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 72°, 4 days with precipitation this month. Check out our list of what to wear in January.
Holidays and Walt Disney World Events in January
- January 1 – 7 : Busy crowds with New Years Day, holiday activities, and a runDisney Marathon weekend
- January 12 Festival of the Arts and Cuisine begins
- January 12 – 14 College Cheerleading and Dance Team National Championships
- Martin Luther King weekend (Jan. 13 – 15) brings a 3 day federal holiday weekend and college Cheerleading and Dance competitions. While this weekend isn’t one of the busiest, it is wise to be aware that crowds are higher than what you may expect.
I like this time to go to Disney! It can be a bit chilly but typically nice with lower crowds. We have been at Disney in early January and enjoyed seeing the remaining Christmas decorations. They were all taken down one night while we were asleep!
February 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 75°, 4 days with precipitation this month. Here is our list of what to wear in February.
Holidays and Disney Events in February
February brings quite a few dance and cheerleading competitions, as well as a half marathon and Presidents Day weekend.
- February 2-4 National Dance Team Championship.
- February 9-12 National High School Cheerleading Championship This is a very prestigious, televised competition (ESPN). This competition brings in 20,000 athletes.
- February 16-19 Twirl Mania International Championships
- February 16-20 President’s Day Weekend with President’s Day on February 19
- The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival typically starts the end of February and runs until early July.
A great time to go to Disney World is January 30 – February 10! It’s clear sailing!
March 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 79°, 5 days with precipitation this month. Here is our list of what to wear to Disney in March.
Overall this month is hit or miss with rolling spring breaks throughout the United States and a wide variety of High School and College competitions and school outings happening throughout the month. Easter week is typically quite busy.
- March 3 – 5 The Contest of Champions is an open dance and drill competition that takes place at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex at Disney World. (Tentative)
- March 10 – 12 UCA International All Star Cheerleading Championship (Tentative)
- March 29 – April 1 Easter weekend. The week before Easter and Easter weekend are generally a very busy time as many students are off of school coinciding with spring breaks.
If you go to Disney World in March, go early! As the month goes along, the crowds increase with spring breaks and school functions.
April 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 84°, 4 days with precipitation this month. Check out our list of what to wear to Disney in April.
Holidays and Disney Events in April
April brings another runDisney event as well as more cheerleading and dance competitions.
- April 12 – 15 runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend To the Finish line….and Beyond! (Tentative)
- April 16 – 22 Earth Week at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- April 18 – 20 ICU Cheerleading World Championship (Tentative)
- April 26 – 29 Dance and cheerleading competitions
- April 28 – 29 Dapper Day at Walt Disney World (Tentative)
May 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 88°, 6 days with precipitation this month. Here are our suggestions of what to wear in May.
May is one of the best times to go to Disney World! Weather is great, events have died down and school is still in session. As a general rule, weekends will be heavier than weekdays but overall, the crowds will be smaller throughout the month.
Holidays and Disney Events in May
- May 4 Star Wars Day. This will be a busy but fun time to be at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. May the Fourth be with you!
- May 5 Cinco De Mayo
- May 24 – 28 Memorial Day Weekend – Holiday weekend and the beginning of summer break in some parts of the country. Memorial Day is not only the unofficial start to summer in the general USA, it is also the summer kick off at Disney World! The parks start to stay open later beginning Memorial Day (usually staying open until 10:00 rather than 9:00).
June 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 91°, 12 days with precipitation this month. Here is our suggested list of what to wear in June.
Keep in mind that during all the summer months quick afternoon rain showers are very common.
June is hot, humid, and rainy but the parks are not typically overly crowded, especially during the weekdays. The first full week of June should be the best of the month because many schools are not out yet.
Holidays and Disney Events in June
All month – Disney H2O Glow Nights at Typhoon Lagoon
All month – Flower and Garden Festival in Epcot, weekends in EPCOT will be busy
June 1 Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon 35th Anniversary
June 9 Donald Duck’s 90th Birthday
June 16 Father’s Day
We have a detailed list on what to wear to Disney in June here.
July 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 92°, 13 days with precipitation this month. Keep in mind that during the summer months quick afternoon rain showers are very common. Here is what to wear to Disney in July.
Holidays and Disney Events in July
- All month – Disney H2O Glow Nights at Typhoon Lagoon
- July 4th week brings heavy crowds at Disney World, especially the Magic Kingdom. Disney is known for its incredible fireworks displays along with a holiday weekend. Both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot have special 4th of July celebrations. Disney Springs has special 4th of July decor and the Animal Kingdom usually has special food and beverages to celebrate America’s Independence Day.
- July 25 – November 16 Food and Wine Festival at Epcot (Tentative Date)
The second half of July is very busy on weekends but similar to June, the weekdays are doable. If you can brave the heat and humidity (average is 74% humidity in Orlando in July) it is not a bad time to go.
August 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 91°, 14 days with precipitation this month. Keep in mind that during the summer months quick afternoon rain showers are very common. Here are our suggestions of what to wear to Disney in August.
- All month long: Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. The Epcot Food and Wine Festival. Avoid Epcot during the weekends as it is a favorite place for the locals to visit.
- August 9 Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom begins (ending on October 31)
- August 18 – 24 World Princess Week (Tentative)
Middle of August – crowds start to decrease as school starts in some parts of the country. The temperatures are also beginning to back off just a bit toward the very end of August. Do be aware that tropical storms and hurricanes often form from mid-August to late October.
Be aware that Epcot can get very busy as the Food and Wine Festival is very popular. Check out August 15-31 – if your kids are not in school yet, consider this time of the year to go! This is a prime week to visit.
September 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Holidays and Disney World Events in September
- All Month: Food and Wine Festival at Epcot
- All Month Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom
- August 30 – September 3 (Labor Day Weekend) – A holiday weekend with heavy crowds. One thing to note, Labor Day itself is one of the least busy holiday Mondays as visitors will often head home the Sunday of Labor Day weekend.
After Labor Day weekend is over head to Disney World! The rest of September is a great time to visit Disney World as schools are in session throughout the country. This would be especially great if you have toddlers who are not currently in school. There is so much to do at Disney with toddlers!
October 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 85°, 5 days with precipitation this month. Here is our suggestions of what to wear to Disney in October.
Holidays and Disney World Events in October
- All Month Mickey’s Not-So Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom
- October 11-15 – Columbus Day/Indigenous People’s Day and school fall breaks all occur here. Crowds will reflect it.
- October 31 Halloween
October 1-6 This is a great time to go if you can. Lower temps, lower crowds! Halloween is one of the biggest holidays at Disney World – check out the visitor stats to see! It will be busy, but it is incredibly fun.
November 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Weather: Average high temperature is 78°, 3 days with precipitation this month. Here are our suggestions of what to wear to Disney in November.
Holidays and Disney Events in November
- November 1-4: Half Marathon
- November 4 – 10 Jersey Week (Tentative)
November 6 – December 20 Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom
- November 11 Veterans Day -Federal holiday which brings heavy crowds
- November 24 – 30 Thanksgiving Holiday week which brings heavy crowds. Generally speaking Saturday-Wednesday are less busy than Thursday-Sunday of this week. In case it matters to you, Christmas decorations at Disney World WILL be up!
December 2024 Disney Crowd Calendar
Holidays and Disney Events in December
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom (Ending December 20)
- Festival of the Holidays at Epcot (Ending December 25th)
- December 25 – Christmas
- December 31 New Year’s Eve
Be aware that the second half of December is when you will find Christmas holiday crowds leading into New years. The Christmas crowds are a real thing.
Disney is known to have the highest attendance of visitors between Christmas and New Years Day. Not only are the crowds high, but general cost of everything is higher this time of year.
5 Things You Need to Know About The Walt Disney World Crowd Calendar
As a general rule, there are 3 things you should know when planning your trip:
1. When schools are in session, the parks are less crowded.
Unfortunately, this can be a double edged sword. You want to try and plan your trip while schools are in session so that there are fewer people in the Disney Parks…but you also probably have kids who are in school.
If this is the case, try to get creative with days your kids happen to be on school breaks while the majority of the country is not.
For example, maybe your children’s schools start later in September or get out earlier in May. Possibly there is a 3 day break somewhere in the school schedule that is unique to your school district.
2. Holidays always mean the parks will be more crowded.
Holidays mean people are off work, off school and off to Disney World. Some of the bigger holidays attract crowds not only on the day itself but the days leading up to it and after it. Christmas is the most important holiday to consider when looking at crowds.
Holiday crowds are a constant no matter what year. You can look at 2025 or 2026 and know that you should avoid any 3 day holiday weekend regardless of what exact dates they are!
3. Special events are always going on at Disney which affect crowd levels.
Disney World puts on many many special events throughout the year. In fact there are so many that it seems every weekend there is some large event. Ranging from cheerleading competitions to marathons and everything in between. You need to be aware of them before you come.
4. Crowds at Disney have become harder to predict
The last couple of years the crowds at Disney World have been much different than any crowd calendar has predicted. When Disney reopened after the pandemic people took vacations they had been putting off for years. That, combined with lots of changes at Disney World, and the crowds have been more different than normal.
We do anticipate that things will slowly be shifting back to a more “normal” crowd pattern as Disney returns more to normal.
5. Don’t panic if the crowds are bad.
If you are going when the crowds are expected to be heavy, do not despair! Follow your plan and you will be just fine. The crowd levels are subject to many things and are not absolutes in any way. A rainy day may send half the park back to the hotels – you will throw on your poncho and carry on!
How To Decide When To Go To Disney World
When you decide to go to Disney World hinges on a lot of personal factors specific to you and your family as well. Some questions you need to ask yourself are:
- How important is the crowd factor to me during my visit?
- Am I ok with my children missing some school?
- What kind of weather do I want to have?
- Do I want to spend a chunk of my time at the pools and Typhoon Lagoon?
- Do I want to visit during special times, like during one of the Epcot Festivals such as the food and wine festival or flower festival?
We do have a post that helps a bit more with when the best time is for you to book your Walt Disney World vacation. It will go through a bit more detailed information on budget and timing.
Now that you know when to go, be sure to check out our month by month packing guide for what to wear at Disney World! If you are wondering where to stay during your visit start here: find out if you should stay onsite at Disney World or offsite!
We hope you found our Disney World Crowd Calendar to be helpful! Be sure to share it with your friends and family who are planning their own trip!