Winnie the Pooh has found his way into the hearts of millions of people around the world for nearly 100 years. He first appeared publically in the London Evening News on Christmas Eve 1925.
British author A.A. Milne created the character, Winnie the Pooh, after a teddy bear owned by his son, Christopher Robin Milne. The stuffed bear was purchased in Harrod’s department store Christopher’s mother Daphne. The bear was given to Christopher as a first birthday present.
Christopher Robin named his stuffed bear after a real Canadian black bear he often visited at the London Zoo, named Winnie. Milne offers this explanation of how “Pooh” came to be: But his arms were so stiff … they stayed up straight in the air for more than a week, and whenever a fly came and settled on his nose he had to blow it off. And I think – but I am not sure – that that is why he is always called Pooh.
All of the other characters associated with Winnie the Pooh, including Piglet, Eeyore, Kanga, Roo and Tigger, also come from Christopher Robin’s toys. The exception is Owl and Rabbit, which were created by Milne’s imagination.
English Author A. A. Milne took the stories of Winnie the Pooh and turned them into the classic children’s books we know and love today. Books full of life lessons, words of wisdom and important things we all can learn from and grow with.
In 1961 The Walt Disney Company licensed certain rights for the Winnie the Pooh stories from the A. A. Milne estate.
The Best Winnie the Pooh Quotes
We have assembled some of our favorite quotes and inspiring words from Pooh Bear. Arranged topically, we hope these sweet quotes bring you great joy and sentiment as they have to us over the years.
Winnie the Pooh Quotes About Love
1. “Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day.”
2. “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?”
3. “Piglet: ‘How do you spell love?’ Pooh: ‘You don’t spell it, you feel it.’”
4. “And really, it wasn’t much good having anything exciting like floods, if you couldn’t share them with somebody.”
5. “I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.”
6. “Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”
7. “Forever isn’t long at all, Christopher, when I’m with you.”
8. “Some people care too much. I think it’s called love.”
9. “Love is taking a few steps backward, maybe even more, to give way to the happiness of the person you love.”
10. “A hug is always the right size.”
Winnie the Pooh Quotes About Friendship
1. “Here together, friends forever. Some things were just meant to be, and that’s you and me.”
2. “A friend is one of the nicest things you can have and one of the best things you can be.”
3. “We’ll be Friends Forever, won’t we, Pooh?’ asked Piglet. Even longer,’ Pooh answered.
4. “It seemed they had always been, and would always be, friends. Time could change much, but not that.”
5. “A day without a friend is like a pot without a single drop of honey left inside.”
6. “Would you mind coming with me, Piglet, in case they turn out to be Hostile Animals?”
7. “I don’t feel very much like Pooh today,” said Pooh. “There there,” said Piglet. “I’ll bring you tea and honey until you do.”
8. “It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like ‘What about lunch?’”
9. “‘When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,’ said Piglet at last, ‘what’s the first thing you say to yourself?’ ‘What’s for breakfast?’ said Pooh. ‘What do you say, Piglet?’ ‘I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?’ said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. ‘It’s the same thing,’ he said.”
10. “A friend is someone who helps you up when you’re down, and if they can’t, they lay down beside you and listen.”
11. ”‘ Pooh!’ he whispered. ‘Yes. Piglet?’ ‘Nothing,’ said Piglet, taking Pooh’s paw. ‘I just wanted to be sure of you.’”
12. “‘I wonder what Piglet is doing,’ thought Pooh. ‘I wish I were there to be doing it, too.’”
13. “It isn’t much good having anything exciting if you can’t share it with somebody.”
14. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.”
15. “As soon as I saw you I knew a grand adventure was about to happen.”
16. Piglet: “Pooh!” Pooh: ”Yes, Piglet?” Piglet: ”Nothing. I just wanted to be sure of you.”
17. “Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
Wisdom and Valuable Lessons from Winnie the Pooh
1. “Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?”
2. “You can’t save time. You can only spend it, but you can spend it wisely or foolishly.”
3. “Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there someday.”
4. “Always wear a smile because your smile is a reason for many others to smile!”
5. “Don’t underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.”
6. “Always watch where you are going. Otherwise, you may step on a piece of the forest that was left out by mistake.”
7. “Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.”
8. “One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries.”
9. “When life throws you a rainy day, play in the puddles.”
10. “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
11. “Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
12. “The things that make me different are the things that make me.”
13. “Tut tut, it looks like rain.”
14. “Home is the comfiest place to be.”
15. “Poetry and Hums aren’t things which you get, they’re things which get you. And all you can do is to go where they can find you.”
16. “Life is a journey to be experienced, not a problem to be solved.”
17. “‘When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,’ said Piglet at last, ‘What’s the first thing you say to yourself?’
‘What’s for breakfast?’ said Pooh. ‘What do you say, Piglet?’
‘I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?’ said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. ‘It’s the same thing,’ he said.”
Winnie the Pooh Quotes About Saying Goodbye
1. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”
2. “But, of course, it isn’t really good-bye, because the forest will always be there… and anybody who is friendly with bears can find it.”
3. “Christopher Robin is going. At least I think he is. Where? Nobody knows. But he is going.”
4. “I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.”
5. “If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.”
6. “Even if we’re apart, I’ll always be with you.”
7. “I would’ve liked for it to go on a while longer.”
8. “What should happen if you forget about me?” asked Pooh. “Silly old bear, I won’t ever forget about you,” said Christopher Robin.
9. “The most important thing is, even when we’re apart, I’ll always be with you.”
10. “Promise me you’ll never forget me because if I thought you would I’d never leave.”
11. “Goodbye..? Oh no, please. Can’t we go back to page one and do it all over again?”
Winnie the Pooh Quotes About People Interactions
1. “If people are upset because you’ve forgotten something, console them by letting them know you didn’t forget—you just weren’t remembering.”
2. “You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”
3. “If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.”
4. “Just because an animal is large, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t want kindness; however big Tigger seems to be, remember that he wants as much kindness as Roo.”
5. “Winnie the Pooh finds comfort in counting his pots of honey, and Rabbit finds comfort in knowing where his relations are – even if he doesn’t need them at the moment.”
6. “A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference.”
7. “When you are a bear of very little brain, and you think of things, you find sometimes that a thing which seemed very thinkish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.”
Winnie the Pooh Quotes About Self Help
1. “The things that make me different are the things that make me, me.”
2. “When late morning rolls around and you’re feeling a bit out of sorts, don’t worry; you’re probably just a little eleven o’clockish.”
3. “You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.”
4. “I’m short and fat and proud of that!”
5. “The most wonderful thing about Tiggers is, I’m the only one.” (Tigger Quote)
6. “‘I have been Foolish and Deluded,’ said he, ‘And I am a Bear of No Brain at All.’ ‘You’re the Best Bear in All the World,’ said Christopher Robin soothingly. ‘Am I?’ said Pooh hopefully.”
7. “Well, he was humming this hum to himself, and walking along gaily, wondering what everybody else was doing, and what it felt like, being somebody else.”
8. ”I’m not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
9. “I must go forward where I have never been instead of backwards where I have.”
10. “A day without laughter is a day wasted.”
11. “If possible, try to find a way to come downstairs that doesn’t involve going bump, bump, bump, on the back of your head.”
12. “Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon.”
13. “Doing nothing often leads to the very best of something.”
Winnie The Pooh FAQ
Piglet is one of Pooh’s best friends and is a boy.
Winnie comes from the name of a bear at the London Zoo.
If you are going to Disney World you can meet Winnie the Pooh and friends at the Crystal Palace in Disney’s Magic Kingdom! Join Winnie the Pooh and friends for a whimsical all-you-care-to-enjoy buffet breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Be sure to check out our Winnie the Pooh gift guide! One of our favorites is a key chain with a Pooh quote on it.
If you love Disney quotes, as much as we do, be sure to check out our favorites from characters such as Tinker Bell, Cinderella, and Gaston!