We all love the story of Cinderella! She’s a beautiful girl who lived with her devoted father in her father’s house. Cinderella’s mother passed away, and her father married his second wife – Lady Tremaine – who had two daughters.
Cinderella’s story takes off after the death of her father. The narrator of Cinderella sums it up this way:
“Although he was a kind and devoted father, and gave his beloved child every luxury and comfort, still he felt she needed a mother’s care. And so, he married again, choosing for his second wife, a woman of good family, with two daughters just Cinderella’s age, by name: Anastasia and Drizella.”
“It was upon the untimely death of this good man, however, that this stepmother’s true nature was revealed. Cold, cruel, and bitterly jealous of Cinderella’s charm and beauty, she was grimly determined to forward the interests of her own two awkward daughters.”Narrator, Cinderella
When Cinderella meets Prince Charming at the ball with the help of her fairy Godmother and her magic wand, they fall in love instantly. Of course, Cinderella loses her beautiful slipper when she runs away, trying to escape before the magic wore off.
The Grand Duke travels the whole kingdom looking for the owner of the slipper. At long last, he finds Cinderella…and the Prince and Cinderella lived happily ever after. It is one of everyone’s favorite fairytales.
Cinderella is the main character in the well-known fairy tale “Cinderella” that was written by Charles Perrault and published in 1697. Cinderella the movie was released in 1950, but this character has been loved for many generations.
This original motion picture was the 12th major animated feature film from Walt Disney Pictures. The film gained critical acclaim for its incredible storyline and animation and received three Academy Award nominations. Cinderella earned an incredible $4.28 million dollars at the box office. Cinderella is arguably one of the best Disney movies of all time.
In 2015, Walt Disney Pictures released a live action version of Cinderella. It topped the box office when it was released and eventually became the 12th highest grossing film of 2015 of any genre.
Cinderella could be considered Walt Disney’s favorite princess. Why, you ask? The castle in Walt Disney World is called Cinderella’s Castle! (The one in Disneyland is smaller and is Sleeping Beauty’s castle – you can read more about the differences here).
61 Best Cinderella Movie Quotes
Our favorite quotes from Cinderella herself.
1. “Well, serves you right, spoiling people’s best dreams.”
2. “Oh, that clock. Old killjoy.”
3. “Well, there’s one thing: they can’t order me to stop dreaming.”
4. “It is a little snug. But it’ll have to do! Now, for a name. I’ve got one. Octavius. But for short, we’ll call you Gus.”
5. “I’m sorry if your highness objects to an early breakfast. It’s certainly not my idea to feed you first—it’s orders.”
6. “So if you don’t want to lose a nice, warm bed, you’d better get rid of those dreams. Know how? Just learn to like cats!”
7. “I know it isn’t easy, but at least we should try to get along together. And that includes you, your majesty.”
8. “After all, I’m still a member of the family. And it says, ‘By royal command, every eligible maiden is to attend.’”
9. “What’s a royal ball? After all, I suppose it would be frightfully dull, and boring, and completely … completely wonderful.”
10. “Oh, it’s a beautiful dress! Did you ever see such a beautiful dress? And look! Glass slippers. Why, it’s like a dream. A wonderful dream come true.”
11. “Thank you. Thank you so much, for everything.”
12. “Your Grace, please wait! May I try it on?”
13. “But, you see … I have the other slipper.”
14. “I’m sure I can. Oh, thank you, Stepmother.”
15. “They can’t order me to stop dreaming.”
16. “Oh, well. What’s a royal ball? After all, I suppose it would be frightfully dull, and boring, and completely … completely wonderful.”“Oh, no. No, it isn’t true. It’s just no use. No use at all. I can’t believe. Not anymore. There’s nothing left to believe in. Nothing.”
17. A dream is a wish your heart makes
When you’re fast asleep.
In dreams you will lose your heartaches.
Whatever you wish for, you keep.
Have faith in your dreams, and someday
Your rainbow will come smiling through.
No matter how your heart is grieving,
If you keep on believing,
The dreams that you wish will come true.
Lady Tremaine Quotes (wicked stepmother)
Cinderella’s stepmother makes her life quite miserable. She has a goal to keep the family fortunes for herself and to live a life of ease.
1. “Now, let me see … There’s the large carpet in the main hall. Clean it! And the windows, upstairs and down. Wash them! Oh yes. And the tapestries and the draperies. Do them again! And don’t forget the garden. And scrub the terrace, sweep the halls and the stairs, clean the chimneys, and of course there’s the mending and the sewing and the laundry. Oh yes, and one more thing. See that Lucifer gets his bath.”
2. “The glass slipper is their only clue. The Duke has been ordered to try it on every girl in the kingdom. And if one can be found whom the slipper fits, then, by the King’s command, that girl shall be the Prince’s bride.”
3. “Well, I see no reason why you can’t go, if you get all your work done. And if you can find something suitable to wear.”
Fairy Godmother Quotes
Cinderella’s fabulous Godmother makes all of Cinderella’s dreams come true using a little magic. She does everything from giving Cinderella a new gown and new pair of shoes, to giving Cinderella footmen and a carriage driver from animals (in the live action version, Cinderella has a lizard footman!).
1. “But like all dreams, I’m afraid this won’t last forever.”
2. “But we have to hurry, because even miracles take a little time.”
3. “If you’d lost all your faith, I couldn’t be here. And here I am!”
4. “You can’t go to the ball looking like that!”
5. “Just leave it to me, what a gown this will be!”
6. “I’d say the first thing you need is … a pumpkin.”
7. “You can’t go to the ball without a horse.”
8. “But instead of a horse, well a coachman of course!”
9. “Bruno, that’s right! You’ll be footman tonight. Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo!”
10. “On the stroke of twelve, the spell will be broken, and everything will be as it was before.”
Quotes from The King
The King in Cinderella has some of our favorite quotes!
1. “Love. Ha! Just a matter of a boy meeting a girl under the right conditions.”
2. “My son has been avoiding his responsibilities long enough. It’s high time he married and settled down.”
3. “I’m not getting any younger, you know. I want to see my grandchildren before I go.”
4. “I want to hear the pitter-patter of little feet again.”
5. “You will stay right here. See they’re not disturbed. And when the boy proposes, notify me immediately.”
6. “Soft lights, romantic music, all the trimmings! It can’t possibly fail!”
7. “I can’t understand it. There must be at least one who’d make a suitable mother!”
Quotes from Cinderella’s Narrator
1. “Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there was a tiny kingdom. peaceful, prosperous, and rich in romance and tradition. Here, in a stately chateau, there lived a widowed gentleman, and his little daughter Cinderella.”
2. “And yet, through it all, Cinderella remained ever gentle and kind, for with each dawn she found new hope that someday, her dreams of happiness would come true.”
Prince Charming Quotes
1. “Oh no, wait, you can’t go now, it’s only – “
1. “Take it easy, cluck-cluck.”
2. “Surprised, surprised, very surprised.”
3. “Happy birthday!”
1. “New mouse in the house! Brand new! Never saw it before!”
2. “We like you. Cinderelly likes you too.”
3. “Did you ever see a cat-cat?”
4. “Lucify not funny. Lucify mean.”
1. “Well, it’s about time. Don’t forget the mending! Don’t be all day getting it done, either.”
2. “She put it there! A big, ugly mouse! Under my teacup.”
3. “And I’m so eligible.”
4. “I’d be honored, Your Highness. Would you mind holding my broom?”
5. “I don’t see why everybody else seems to have such nice things to wear, and I always end up in these old rags! This sash! I wouldn’t be seen dead in it.”
6. “I knew it was my slipper. Exactly my size. I always wear the same size.”
7. “Well, it may be a trifle snug today. You know how it is, dancing all night.”
1. “Take that ironing and have it back in an hour! One hour, you hear?”
2. “Why, that’s my slipper!”
Grand Duke Quotes
1. “But, Your Majesty! If the prince should suspect?”
2. “Well, if I may say so, Your Majesty, I did try to warn you, but you, sire, are incurably romantic. No doubt you saw the whole pretty picture in detail. The young Prince bowing to the assembly. Suddenly, he stops. He looks up. For, lo, there she stands. The girl of his dreams. Who she is or whence she came, he knows not. Nor does he care. But his heart tells him that here, here is the maid predestined to be his bride. A pretty plot for fairy tales, sire, but in real life. Oh no, no. It was foredoomed to failure.”
3. “Your Majesty, I see no point in beating about the bush. I regret to inform you, sire, that the young lady has disappeared, leaving behind only this glass slipper.”
4. “The Prince, sire, swears he’ll marry none but the girl who fits this slipper.”
5. “My orders were ‘Every maiden.’ Come, my child.”
Cinderella remains one of the classic Disney movies. You will find remakes of this Cinderella story everywhere – our favorite non-Disney adaptation is Ever After.
We all love the rags to riches story, true love, and of course the magic of a Fairy Godmother. Of course, the humor of Jaq and Gus Gus, the house mice add a lovely touch to the movie!
If you have little girls they will love watching the classic movie! Make it a movie night at home – and be sure to watch the other Disney Princess movies!
Be sure to check out other iconic Disney quotes from: