Wondering who all of the Disney Princesses are? Planning your Disney World trip and hoping to meet all of the Princesses?
This Disney Princess list will not only share all of the Princess Names but also fun facts about each and what to ask them when you meet them at Disney World!
We all have a favorite Disney movie, right? Whether it’s the first film we ever saw or we just love the happy ending, most of us have one movie that we are drawn to.
Along with our favorite Disney movie, most of us have a favorite Disney Princess as well! In case you’re like us and know everything there is to know about your favorite princess but are a bit clueless on the others, we sharing a complete list of Princess names and some fun facts about each!
How Many Official Disney Princesses Are There?
There are 12 official Disney Princesses.
The Ultimate Disney Princess List
And now for the Ultimate Disney Princess Names List along with which movie they’re in…this will answer one of the most common Disney questions. The 12 official Disney princesses are:
- Snow White (Snow White)
- Cinderella (Cinderella)
- Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
- Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
- Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
- Jasmine (Aladdin)
- Pocahontas (Pocahontas)
- Mulan (Mulan)
- Tiana (the Princess and the Frog)
- Rapunzel (Tangled)
- Merida (Brave)
- Moana (Moana)
The 2 “unofficial” Disney Princesses who we still consider a princess are Elsa and Anna (Frozen)!
In this post you will find some fun facts about all of the princesses and the movie they’re featured in! We have also included some ideas of questions to ask each of the princesses when you meet them at Disney World.
This is definitely something you should try to schedule when you are working on your Disney World vacation plan! The characters LOVE it when you ask questions about things they are associated with.
The cast members playing the characters know everything about who they are playing. Asking them questions allows them to start having fun ad libbing about their character.
Official Disney Princesses List
Below we have listed all the Disney Princess names and some fun facts about them and the movie they are in.
1. Snow White
Snow White Synopsis
The movie, Snow White, was based on a fairy tale created by the Brothers Grimm that was published in 1812. This fairy tale includes an evil step-mother, a magical mirror and a poisoned apple.
In the story of Disney Princess Snow White, her stepmother, the Evil Queen, uses a magic mirror to find out that Snow White is “the first one of all.”
The queen’s jealousy sends her into a rage and she enlists a huntsman to take Snow White into the woods to kill her. Instead of killing her, the huntsman lets her go and she travels into the woods and finds shelter with the 7 dwarfs.
The Evil Queen (with the help of her magic mirror) finds out Snow White is still alive. Determined to get rid of her, the queen disguises herself as a hag and brings Snow White a poison apple.
Snow White takes a bite of the apple which sends her into a deep sleep. The spell can only be broken by the kiss of a prince.
Who is Snow White’s Prince?
The prince in Snow White is Prince Charming.
Snow White Characters
- Snow White stays with the 7 dwarfs after her escape from the Evil Queen.
- The names of the 7 dwarfs are Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, Dopey, Doc.
9 Fun Facts About Snow White
- Did you know that Snow White was the very first Disney princess ever created, back in 1937?
- Snow White is known as “the fairest one of all” and she has “hair as black as ebony, lips as red as the rose, and skin as white as snow.”
- “Hi-Ho,” “Whistle While You Work,” and “Someday My Prince Will Come” are favorite songs from the movie.
- Snow White is on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!
- Adriana Caselotti is the actress who voiced Snow White – she looks like Snow White!
- She is the only Caucasian princess to have brown eyes.
- She is the first princess to communicate with woodland animals! (The second is Cinderella and the third is Aurora)
- Real makeup was applied on to the animation cel to give Snow White a natural rosy look!
- Some of Snow White’s dancing was re-used in Robin Hood. You can see it here!
What to say to Snow White at Walt Disney World:
What to ask Snow White when you meet her at Disney:
1. Ask her if she eats apples.
2. Ask her who her favorite dwarf is!
3. Ask her if the magic mirror ever gets used anymore!
Fun family fact – Snow White is our grandma’s favorite because of her kindness! Be sure to consider meeting Snow White, Grumpy, Dopey, and the Evil Queen at Story Book Dining at Artist Point.
Cinderella’s father has died and she is left living with her wicked stepmother and two awful stepsisters. She has become the family servant and has basically no chance to attend the upcoming ball where the Prince will find a wife.
After her stepmother and stepsisters head off to the ball without her, Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother shows up to work her magic and gets her to the ball. Cinderella has until midnight to get home – at which point the spell wears off.
At the ball, Cinderella enchants the prince and loses track of time. When the clock strikes 12:00, she rushes home, leaving one glass slipper at the castle. Will the Prince find the owner of the glass slipper – his true love?
Who is Cinderella’s Prince?
Prince Charming is Cinderella’s prince!
- Prince Charming
- Anastasia and Drizella are her stepsisters.
- Jac and Gus are key mice friends.
- Lucifer is the evil cat owned by Cinderella’s step family.
- The Fairy Godmother makes Cinderella’s dreams come true!
9 Fun Facts About Cinderella
- Cinderella is the second Disney princess.
- This is Disney’s 12th animated feature film. Walt Disney loved the scene where Cinderella’s rags turn into a gown!
- It has 2 sequels: Dreams Come True and A Twist in Time.
- The most popular song from this film is sung by Cinderella: “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes.”
- Cinderella is 19-20 years old, making her one of the oldest princesses.
- Her shoe size is 4.5!
- Cinderella is the first non-royal blood princess.
- She loses her shoe three times in the movie!
- Without the success of this move, Walt Disney would have gone bankrupt! Perhaps this is why the castle in Walt Disney World is Cinderella’s!
What to say to Cinderella at Walt Disney World:
What to ask Cinderella when you meet her at Disney:
1. Ask her if her mouse friends moved into the castle with her.
2. Ask her if glass shoes comfortable.
3. Ask her if she ever stays out past midnight.
We have a list of all our favorite quotes from Cinderella here!
3. Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
Sleeping Beauty Synopsis
Upon birth, Princess Aurora was cursed by the wicked Maleficent to die on her 16th birthday by pricking her finger on a spinning wheel.
Merryweather was able to adjust the curse so that instead of death, Aurora would only fall into a deep slumber – only to be awakened by the kiss of a prince.
In order to protect her, Aurora’s parents sent her to the woods to live with the good fairies Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather. The fairies changed her name to Briar Rose in order to hide her from Maleficent.
Maleficient ends up finding Aurora and leads her to a room, causing her to prick her finger and fall asleep.
Who is Aurora’s Prince?
Prince Philip is Aurora’s prince.
Sleeping Beauty Characters
- Prince Philip
- Aurora is also known as Briar Rose and Sleeping Beauty.
- The fairies in Sleeping Beauty are Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather.
- Maleficinet is the wicked witch.
- King Stefan is Aurora’s father.
Sleeping Beauty Fun Facts
Sleeping Beauty was released in 1959. Due to a mixed reception and a poor performance at the box office, this was the last adaptation of a fairy tale until 1989 and the release of The Little Mermaid.
7 Fun Facts About Disney Princess Aurora:
- The voice of Aurora was professional Opera singer Mary Costa. She sang for JFK’s memorial service!
- Aurora’s body type and features were inspired by Audrey Hepburn.
- Aurora is only in Sleeping Beauty for 18 minutes! While only being on screen a short time, every moment is memorable due to the beautiful animation and the voice of Mary Costa.
- Princess Aurora is the first princess to have a name that is different from the title of her film.
- Aurora doesn’t speak at all in the second half of the film!
- Aurora is also known as Briar Rose and simply, “Sleeping Beauty.”
- Walt Disney did not want Aurora to be compared to Cinderella and Snow White so he worked to give her a completely different face with more angles.
What to ask Aurora at Walt Disney World:
What to ask Aurora when you meet her at Disney:
1. Ask her if she ever uses a spinning wheel.
2. Ask her if she takes naps.
3. Ask her if she ever sees Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather.
4. Ask her if she likes the name Aurora or Briar Rose better.
4. Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
The Little Mermaid Synopsis
Ariel is a mermaid, the daughter of King Triton. She is enthralled with life on land and often visits the surface. On one of her visits to the surface she falls for a human prince.
Determined to be with her Eric, Ariel makes a deal with Ursula to become human for three days in exchange for her voice. Ariel must try to make Prince Eric fall in love with her before sunset on the third day. If she fails, Ariel will turn into a captive of Ursula.
Who is Ariel’s Prince?
Prince Eric is Ariel’s Prince
The Little Mermaid Characters
- Prince Eric
- Ariel and her six older sisters (Attina, Alana, Adella, Aquata, Arista and Andrina) are the daughters of the sea king, King Triton.
- Ariel’s best friend is Flounder the flounder. Scuttle the seagull is Ariel’s land friend.
- Sebastian the crab looks after Ariel by order of the King.
- Ursula the Sea Witch is the villain in this story. Her “henchmen” are Flotsam and Jetsam the eels.
- Grimsby is the chief steward and Prince Eric’s confidant.
Fun Facts about The Little Mermaid Movie
- The Little Mermaid was created in 1989.
- This film is the beginning of the Disney Renaissance which takes place from 1989-1999. During the Disney Renaissance time period Disney returned to producing movies that were largely based on well known stories.
- Alan Menkin and Howard Ashman were hired to create the music for this film (and many subsequent films) and “Under The Sea” gave them their first Oscar for Best Song! Menken also won “Best Score” in 1989!
- Carlotta, Prince Eric’s maid, is wearing the same outfit as Cinderella!
9 Fun Facts About Ariel
- Princess Ariel is known for her red hair and her beautiful voice.
- For a short time, Ariel was almost a blonde!
- The color of Ariel’s fin/tail is now called “Ariel” at Disney! It is a custom color made just for Ariel.
- Ariel is 16 years old.
- Ariel’s song “Part Of Your World” was almost cut from the movie after the original screening.
- Ariel has 6 sisters. Her sister’s say that she is unpredictable.
- Ariel’s favorite food from land is strawberries.
- Ariel’s features were inspired by Alyssa Milano.
- Ariel’s song “Part Of Your World” was almost cut from the movie!
What to say to Ariel at Walt Disney World:
What to ask Ariel when you meet her at Disney:
1. Ask her if she likes living on land or sea better.
2. Ask her if she ever sees Sebastian or Flounder.
3. Ask her if she ever sings with her sisters.
4. Ask her if Prince Eric ever plays the flute.
Fun Family Fact: Jen had a Little Mermaid themed bedroom when she was a little girl complete with sponge paint walls to emulate the ocean, Little Mermaid border and so much more.
5. Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
Beauty and the Beast Synopsis
A young prince turns away an ugly hag looking for shelter. The hag turns out to be an enchantress who turns the prince into a beast and his servants into objects until the prince learns to love and be loved in return.
Belle and her father find the castle on mistake, and Belle ends up a prisoner, alone. With the help of the servants, Belle and the Beast begin to see more in each other than meets the eye.
photo credit Alexis Lariscy
Will Belle and the Beast find true love before the last petal falls off the magic rose – forcing the Beast to stay in his hideous form forever? Will Gaston find the Beast and kill him in order to win Belle’s love?
Who is Belle’s Prince?
The Beast is Belle’s prince, and rumor has it that his actual name is Prince Adam.
Beauty and the Beast Characters
- Prince Adam
- Gaston is the villain in the story. Gaston’s sidekick is LeFou.
- The main castle servants are Cogsworth, Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Chip, and the Featherduster.
- Belle’s father is Maurice.
Beauty and the Beast Fun Facts
- Beauty and the Beast was originally created in 1991. It received three separate Academy Award nominations for Best Original Song for “Belle,” “Be Our Guest,” and “Beauty and The Beast.” It was also the first animated film to ever win an Oscar nomination for Best Picture!
- The final dance scene in Beauty and The Beast is reused animation from Sleeping Beauty!
- “Be Our Guest” was originally sung to Maurice!
- “Beauty and The Beast” was sung by Angela Lansbury and was recorded in one take! Did you know that each line has five syllables?
9 Fun Facts About Belle:
- Belle is supposed to be about 17 years old.
- Belle is the only one in the village who wears the color blue.
- Belle is the first princess with brown hair and the second princess not royal from birth!
- Belle is known for her beauty (“it has no parallel”), but also for being “odd” and not fitting in with the townspeople.
- Belle’s appearance was inspired by Judy Garland and Julie Andrews.
- Belle’s yellow ball gown signifies that she has warmed up to the Beast – she is no longer wearing blue.
- Belle’s name means “beautiful” in French.
- Belle is the only princess to have hazel eyes.
- Belle is the only singing princess to not sing the main theme song!
What to say to Belle at Walt Disney World:
What to ask Belle when you meet her at Disney World:
1. Ask her if she has ready any good books lately.
2. Ask her if her father has made any new inventions.
3. Ask her if she ever sees Gaston.
4. Ask her if she ever misses Lumiere being a candelabra.
Fun Family Fact: Belle is Katie’s favorite Disney Princess and she even brought a Beauty and the Beast poster with her to college. The Beast’s castle is one of our favorite lunch spots at Disney!
6. Jasmine (Aladdin)
Aladdin is a poor street kid who happens to meet Princess Jasmine when she is out escaping the demands of the palace. Aladdin’s luck changes when he finds the Genie in the lamp in the Cave of Wonders.
Aladdin is offered 3 wishes from the genie. Afraid that Jasmine will not love him for who he is, Aladdin wishes himself into a prince in order to win the love of Princess Jasmine.
The villain, Jafar, wants the magic lamp for himself and uses a sinister plan to try and get the genie for himself. Will Jafar find the lamp? Will Jasmine find out who Aladdin really is?
Who is Jasmine’s Prince?
Aladdin is Princess Jasmine’s prince.
- Jasmine is the princess – daughter of the Sultan. Aladdin is her love interest.
- Jasmine’s pet tiger is Rajah. Aladdin’s pet monkey is Abu.
- Jafar is the Sultan’s advisor and the villain in this movie. Jafar has a pet bird named Iago.
- The Genie (of the lamp) is a fan favorite.
Fun Facts about Aladdin
- Created in 1992 Jasmine is the 6th Disney Princess.
- “A Whole New World” and “Friend Like Me” are favorite songs from Aladdin.
7 Fun Facts About Disney Princess Jasmine
- Jasmine is unique to the Disney Princesses in that she is a secondary character in Aladdin, playing Aladdin’s love interest rather than the main character.
- She is the first princess to have her speaking and singing voices done by different actresses.
- Jasmine is 15 years old, making her the second youngest princess. (Snow White is the youngest at 14.)
- Jasmine can speak several languages.
- Jasmine is the only princess to not have a dress as part of her “official costume.”
- Jasmine is the first princess who is not Caucasian.
- Jasmine is the first one to marry a commoner.
- Jasmine is the only female character with a name in the movie “Aladdin.”
- Jasmine is known for being independent and rebellious.
What to say to Jasmine at Walt Disney World:
What to ask Jasmine when you meet her at Disney World:
1. Ask her how the genie is – is he free or back in his lamp!
2. Ask her what she would wish for if she had 3 wishes.
3. Ask her if she still goes for rides on magic carpet.
4. Ask her if it is a good idea to have a tiger for a pet.
7. Pocahontas (Pocahontas)
Pocahontas is the daughter of the chief. She has been pledged to marry Kocoum, but Pocahontas is not interested in this arrangement. Capt. John Smith is a European who journeyed to the New World with other settlers to begin new lives. John Smith and Pocahontas meet and are attracted to each other. Grandmother Willow approves.
The settlers are convinced that the Native Americans are hiding gold. John Smith is followed to one of his secret meetings with Pocahontas, and as a result and the two groups become on the brink of war. Can John Smith and Pocahontas’ love prevent bloodshed?
Who Is Pocahontas’s Prince?
Captian John Smith is not royalty, but is considered to be Pocahontas’s official Disney prince.
- Pocahontas is the daughter of Chief Powhatan.
- Captain John Smith is her male counterpart.
- Pocahontas’ raccoon friend is Meeko. Flit is her hummingbird friend.
- Kocoum is a warrior who is supposed to marry Pocahontas and become the next Powhatan chief.
- Grandmother Willow is a talking willow tree.
- Governor Ratcliffe is the antagonist in this story. His pet is a pug named Percy who was usually taken care of by Wiggins, the Governor’s man servant.
Fun Facts about Pocahontas (the movie)
Pocahontas has received mixed reviews over time due to the controversy surrounding its historical accuracy. The movie was debuted in 1995.
Pocahontas has some of the most well loved songs and received an Academy Award for “Colors Of The Wind” and Alan Menken received an Academy Award for Best Musical or Comedy Score.
Pocahontas and The Lion King were created at the same time. There was a rivalry in Disney over who worked on what movie – Pocahontas was the favored one among animators. Pocahontas took 5 years to complete.
The movie was released to coincide with the real Pocahontas’s 400th birthday.
7 Fun Facts About Princess Pocahontas
- Pocahontas became the first Native American Disney Princess and woman of color be the lead character in a Disney film.
- Pocahontas is 18 years old in the movie.
- Pocahontas is the only princess to never change outfits.
- Pocahontas is the only onewith a tattoo!
- Her name means “Little Mischief.”
- Pocahontas is one of only Disney princesses to be based upon an actual person. (Mulan is also based on some actual events, however, they are less credible.)
- Pocahontas was actually considered a princess in real life!
What to ask Pocahontas in Walt Disney World:
What to ask Pocahontas when you meet her at Disney:
1. Ask her where you can get a necklace like hers.
2. Ask her how to say hello in Powhatan.
3. Ask her about Meeko and Flit!
8. Mulan (Mulan)
Mulan is the only child in the Fa family. When the Hun Army invades China, her aging father is about to be drafted into the Chinese military. Concerned that her father will not survive, Mulan disguises herself as a boy and joins the army in his place.
She becomes a trained warrior and is assisted by Mushu, a dragon sent by her ancestors to help her. The Hun arm continues to advance on China, and it becomes up to Mulan to save her people and bring honor to her family, all while attempting to keep her real identity hidden.
Who is Mulan’s Prince?
Li Shang is Mulan’s Prince.
- Fa Mulan is the main character of this story. While in the army she changes her name to Fa Ping.
- Mushu is Mulan’s dragon friend.
- Cri-Kee is Mushu the dragon’s sidekick and is also considered a good luck charm for Mulan’s family.
- Li Shang is a commander in the Chinese military who later becomes Mulan’s love interest.
- Shan Yu is the antagonist in this movie. He is the commander of the Hun Army, responsible for genocide across China.
- Chi-Fu is the Emperor’s trusted advisor.
Fun Facts about the movie Mulan
Debuted in 1998, Mulan is based on the legendary Chinese warrior Hua Mulan.
Mulan focuses on her heroism and bravery and she is essentially the hero of her own story. Mulan is a warrior trained in archery and is one of the bravest princesses!
9 Fun Facts About Disney Princess Mulan
- Mulan is left handed – however, she uses her sword in her right hand!
- She is the first princess to be raised by her biological parents.
- Mulan is the second one to have both her parents alive during the entire movie. (Aurora is the other one.)
- She’s the first princess to get a hair cut in the film.
- Mulan’s wedding dress is not white – the first time that happens in a Disney film.
- Mulan’s bridal dress is often thought to be a kimono. It is actually a hanfu.
- Mulan means magnolia or wood orchard – you will see many of these in the movie!
- She’s considered a princess but she is not a princess in the traditional sense as her parents are not a king or queen and she does not become a princess during the movie.
- All of Mulan’s dresses have a red sash and blue bodice.
What to say to Mulan in Walt Disney World:
What to ask Mulan when you meet her at Disney:
1. Ask her what it was like to meet the Emperor.
2. Ask her to teach you a warrior pose.
3. Ask her what she really thinks about the matchmaker!
You can often find Mulan in Epcot.
9. Tiana (the Princess and the Frog)
The Princess and The Frog Summary
Tiana dreams of opening up her own restaurant someday. Her dream takes a turn when she meets Prince Naveen, who has been turned into a frog by Dr. Facilier. Naveen believes Tiana to be a princess and kisses her, hoping to break the spell. Instead, Tiana turns into a frog as well.
Tiana and Naveen head through the bayous in order seek the help of Mama Odie. With the help of Louis, Tiana and Naveen try to break the spell before it is too late.
Who is Tiana’s Prince?
Prince Naveen is Tiana’s prince.
The Princess and The Frog Characters
- Tiana is the main character and protagonist of this movie. Her parents are Eudora and James.
- Prince Naveen is the oldest prince of the kingdom of Maldonia.
- Dr. Facilier (also known as the shadow man) is the villain witch doctor in this story.
- Charlotte La Bouff is Tiana’s best friend.
- Mama Odie is the voodoo priestess.
- Louis is the trumpet playing, jazz loving alligator.
Fun Facts about The Princess and The Frog
The Princess and the Frog was debuted in 2009 and features the first African American princess! This story is loosely based on The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker which is based on a Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale.
Music for this film was done by Randy Newman who is well known for his musical involvement in Pixar films such as Cars and the Toy Story movies.
This was the first hand drawn Disney movie since 2004. When Toy Story came out many movies went to CGI animation. The Princess And The Frog was a welcome return to hand drawn movies.
9 Fun Facts About Tiana:
- Tiana is the only Disney princess with a job and she lives in New Orleans.
- Tiana is left handed!
- Tiana opens her own restaurant called “Tiana’s Place”.
- Tiana is 19 years old.
- Tiana has 9 outfits – even though most of the movie she is a frog!
- Tiana is the only princess to have her mom alive and her father dead.
- “Tiana” means “fairy queen.”
- Tiana is the first princess that defeats the movie’s villain.
- Tiana only has 19 minutes as a human in the movie!
What to say to Tiana in Walt Disney World:
What to ask Tiana when you meet her in Disney:
1. Ask her if she will share any family recipes with you.
2. Ask her if she has cooked much lately.
3. Ask her if she likes frogs!
10. Rapunzel (Tangled)
Rapunzel’s hair has magical healing powers that come to life when Rapunzel sings. Mother Gothel wants Rapunzel’s magic for her own use, so she kidnaps Rapunzel when she is a baby and keeps her locked up in a tower and hidden from the world.
One day, Flynn Ryder, a thief, uses the tower as a place of refuge and meets Rapunzel. Rapunzel ends up running away from the tower with Flynn with the goal of seeing the floating lanterns that are sent up every year on her birthday.
Mother Gothel wants to get Rapunzel back before the magic wears off and she turns into an old woman. Will Mother Gothel find Rapunzel? Will Rapunzel find out that she is actually a princess? What will happen to Flynn?
Who is Rapunzel’s Prince?
Flynn Ryder is Rapunzel’s prince.
- Rapunzel is the main character and princess in this movie.
- Pasqual is Rapunzel’s lizard friend.
- Mother Gothel is the antagonist in this story. She kidnaps Rapunzel and raises her as her own.
- Flynn Ryder (whose real name is Eugene Fitzherbert) is Rapunzel’s love interest.
- The Stabbington Brothers are thieves used to help capture Flynn.
Fun Facts about Tangled
Tangled was debuted in 2010 and has the distinguished title of being Disney’s 50th animated feature film! It is, of course, loosely based on Rapunzel by The Brothers Grimm.
Tangled is meant to have a look of oil paintings on canvas which goes along well with Rapunzels amazing painting talent that you see her doing in the film!
There is no prince in Tangled. Of course, Flynn has become a well loved character so we are fine with it!
Photo by Lisa Reese of Pixie and Pirate Destinations
9 Fun Facts About Rapunzel:
- Rapunzel and Flynn make a cameo appearance in Frozen!
- Rapunzel’s trademark color is purple, the color or royalty. All of her clothes in the movie are purple.
- Rapunzel is the first princess to have green eyes
- She is also the first Disney Princess to have magical powers!
- Rapunzel has 100,000 strands of hair in the film.
- Rapunzel is the first one to be computer animated.
- Rapunzel is the first to have her hair change color.
- Rapunzel is the third princess (along with Cinderella and Snow White) to have a cruel maternal figure.
- Rapunzel has an interest in both art and astronomy.
What to say to Rapunzel in Walt Disney World:
What to ask Rapunzel when you meet her in Disney:
1. Ask her where Flynn is.
2. Ask her how long it takes her to brush her hair.
3. Ask her if she uses frying pans to cook or just as a weapon!
One of our favorite nooks in Disney World is an area where you can see Rapunzels tower, and if you look down on the pavement you’ll find some fun things imprinted in!
11. Merida (Brave)
Merida is 16 years old and from Scotland. She has an outgoing forceful personality but we also so her softness. Merida is an excellent archer and refuses to marry a man due to tradition.
Who is Merida’s Prince?
Merida does not have an official Disney prince!
- Princess Merida of DunBroch is the main character. Her horse’s name is Angus.
- Merida is the daughter of Queen Elinor and King Fergus.
- Merida’s brothers are Prince Hubert, Prince Harris, and Prince Hamish.
- Lord MacGuffin, Lord Dingwall, and Lord Macintosh all have sons who they want to marry Merida.
- The Witch in Brave is….The Witch! She does not have another name.
Fun Facts about Brave
Merida is Disney’s 11th princess and the first Pixar princess in 2012.
Brave was co-directed by Brenda Chapman and Mark Andrews, making it Pixar’s first feature length film with a female co-director!
Instead of a male love interest, Brave focuses on the love of a family – specifically between Merida and her parents.
Photo by Lisa Reese of Pixie and Pirate Destinations
9 Fun Facts About Merida
- Merida is the first princess to come from Pixar.
- Merida wore 22 different outfits in the movie.
- She is the first Disney Princess to have a brother – and Merida has 3 of them!
- Merida originally had green eyes, and then were later changed to blue to make her more unique.
- She’s the first princess to not have a love interest.
- “Merida” means “honorable.”
- Merida (along with Snow White) does not have a sequel of spin off.
- If Merida straightened her hair it would be four feet long!
- Merida has 5 different hairstyles in the movie.
What to say to Merida in Walt Disney World:
What to ask Merida when. you meet her:
1. Ask her how is Scotland different from Disney World?
2. Ask her to give you an archery lesson.
3. Ask her what it was like to see her mom as a bear.
4. Ask her how Angus is doing.
Fun Family Fact: Dave took his oldest Granddaughter to see Brave in the theater (she was 4 at the time) and they ended up having the entire theater to themselves!
12. Moana (Moana)
Moana is an optimistic and determined young girl who is constantly drawn to the water. She was instructed by her father to avoid going out too far into the ocean, but Moana is drawn to the water.
When her people’s island and way of life is in trouble, Moana sails off into the ocean to try to save Motunui. She meets Maui who assist her in becoming a master way-finder. Moana must convince Maui to give Te Fiti her heart back so that the ocean will become safe and Moana’s people will survive.
Who is Moana’s Prince?
Moana does not have a prince!
- Moana is the princess in this story.
- Moana is the daughter of Chief Tui, the leader of Motunui.
- Put is Moana’s pot bellied pig. Hei Hei is Moana’s rooster friend.
- Gramma Tala is Moana’s grandmother and confidant.
- Maui is the powerful demigod.
- Te Fiti creates life in the islands of Polynesia – she becomes Te Ka when her heart is stolen.
Fun Facts about Moana
Released in 2016, Moana is our Polynesian Princess!
Moana takes place 3,000 years ago.
“How Far I’ll Go” is one of the most popular songs from Moana.
Moana is Disney’s 56th animated film!
Lin-Manuel Miranda co wrote many of the songs in the film.
9 Fun Facts About Disney Princess Moana
- Moana is 16 years old.
- Moana means “ocean.”
- Disney animators had real people with similar hair to Moana dunk underwater so they could get Moana’s wet hair looking as realistic as possible.
- Moana wears seven outfits in the movie.
- Moana’s skirt has a slit in the front to make it appropriate for an adventurous spirit like Moana – she can run, swim, and walk easily in it!
- Over 40 different designs were submitted for Moana’s necklace!
- Moana was not added to the Disney Princess list until 2019.
- She’s the second princess to be a completely original character and story (Merida is the first).
- Moana is the first one to reject the term “princess.”
What to say to Moana in Walt Disney World:
What to ask Moana when you see her in Disney:
1. Ask her how Hei-Hei is!
2. Ask her what Maui is really like.
3. Ask her what her favorite part is about the ocean.
Disney Princess Criteria
The twelve official Disney princesses meet the following Disney princess criteria:
- The character must have a central role in her film.
- The character must be human or have a human appearnce.
- The character must not be the star of a sequel.
- The character must be royal by birth or marriage – or – the character must perform a heroic deed.
- The film cannot be a failure.
- The character must have broad appeal.
- Unofficially…the character must have an animal sidekick.
With those criteria in mind, Elsa and Anna are not official Disney princesses. Disney does refer to them as the Frozen Queens.
Unofficial 13. Elsa (Frozen)
We couldn’t do a Disney Princess Names List without including the sisters from Frozen! While not official princesses, they’re worth mentioning!
Elsa is the heir to the throne of Arendelle and has magical ice powers. As she grew up she went from playing with her powers to fearing them and keeping them hidden from most of the world.
In an emotional outburst after Anna seeks her blessing to marry Hans, Elsa accidentally puts Arendelle into a perpetual winter.
Elsa runs away and creates an ice castle where she plans to live in order to protect Arendelle from herself. Anna heads out to find Elsa in order to break the curse of winter and bring Elsa back. Along the way she gets help from Kristoff.
Anna finds Elsa, but in an argument, Elsa accidentally freezes Anna’s heart. Anna must find a way to bring Elsa break, break the spell, and save Arendelle all before she becomes frozen.
- Princesses Elsa and Anna are sisters and best friends.
- Elsa and Anna are the daughters of King Agnarr and Queen Iduna of Arendelle.
- Prince Hans is the villain of this story.
- Kristoff Bjorgman is Anna’s love interest.
- Kristoff’s reindeer is named Sven.
- Olaf is the snowman that Elsa created with her powers.
- Grand Pabbie is the troll that rules the Valley of the Living Rock.
Fun Facts about Frozen and Elsa
Elsa is one of Disney’s most complex princesses. Initially loosely based on the Danish fairy tale “The Snow Queen, ” Disney found it increasingly difficult to portray Elsa as she is more villain than heroine in the original fairy tale.
As we now know her, Elsa does do some villainous acts, however, we see her more as a princess with an internal struggle which makes her more relatable and less villain.
Frozen’s soundtrack became an instant hit. “Let it Go” won an Academy Award for Best Original Song, a Grammy Award for Best Song Written for Visual Media and Critics Choice Award for Best Song. IT was also nominated for a Golden Globe award for Best Original Song.
Photo by Lisa Reese of Pixie and Pirate Destinations
What to ask Elsa at Walt Disney World:
What to ask Elsa when you meet her:
1. Would you like to build a snowman?
2. Ask her what her favorite thing is to make out of ice.
3. Ask her if she likes summer or winter best.
4. Ask her what her favorite thing to do is in her ice castle.
5. Ask her what her favorite thing to do is as queen.
Fun Family Fact: Frozen was the first movie Katie took her daughters to in the theater!
Unofficial 14. Anna (Frozen)
Fun Facts about Frozen: Anna
In our opinion, Anna is one of the most instantly likable Disney Princesses! She has an energy for life and seems to just be happy to be alive.
Anna loves her sister Elsa and puts family above everything, even to her own demise.
Anna has her own complexities as a character, trying to understand her sister’s powers and how she fits in.
What to ask Anna at Walt Disney World:
What to Ask Anna when you meet her at Disney:
1. Ask her if Olaf’s hugs are really warm!
2. Would you like to build a snowman?
3. Ask her where Kristoff is.
4. Ask her if she really likes reindeer.
Fun Family Fact: Jen cries every time she hears “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?”
Images courtesy of Disney Princess | Official Site
What is the order of the Disney Princess Movies?
- Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
- Sleeping Beauty
- The Little Mermaid
- Beauty And The Beast
- The Princess And The Frog
- Frozen (unofficial princess movie)
How old are each of the Princesses?
- Elsa – 21
- Cinderella -19
- Tiana – 19
- Anna – 18
- Pocahantas – 18
- Rapunzel – 18
- Belle – 17
- Mulan – 16
- Ariel – 16
- Aurora – 16
- Moana – 16
- Merida – 16
- Jasmine – 15
- Snow White – 14
One of our favorite parts about Disney World is interacting with all of the characters and princesses! We hope this post helps you keep track of all the Princess names and have some fun when you meet them! We definitely recommend kids wearing princess costumes! Bonus: they can wear them for Halloween, too!
And we know it can be hard to find all Disney princesses while at Disney World. We’re helping you out with this post where you can find where they are located throughout Disney World here.
If you want more about the Disney princess films, head here!
And for those of you who love the men of Disney, check out everything there is to know about the Princes of Disney, check out here!
We definitely recommend trying to hit up Disney World during some slower times of the year in order to have the opportunity to meet as many Princesses as possible.